This orange cake is perfect to have with coffee or tea in the afternoon. It’s soft and fluffy, but best of all, it’s an error-proof recipe, so it always turns out delicious.
Steps to make the best orange cake
The first step in making this recipe is to turn on the oven to pre-heat it. Meanwhile, you can mix the ingredients, so it will be ready for when you put in the batter to bake.
In a pot melt the butter, you only want to turn it to liquid, you don’t want to heat it up. Once it has a liquid consistency and it’s at room temperature, add the milk, the eggs, the Cointreau, the fruit zest, 1/4 cup orange juice, and the cardamom.
In a bowl mix the dry ingredients, that is, the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Put the dry ingredients and the liquid ones together and mix. Once you achieve a homogeneous-looking mixture pour it into a loaf pan, previously greased and floured to make sure that the cake doesn’t stick.
Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes. To know if your cake is ready, insert a toothpick or fork down the center, if it comes out clean, then it’s done.
While the cake is in the oven, mix orange juice and sugar in a saucepan to make a glaze, once the mixture begins to bubble and slowly burst, remove from heat.
Take the cake out of the oven and pour the orange glaze over it. Let it fully cool down before slicing.Print
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 16 rebanadas
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Classic
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 356 ºF (180 ºC).
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the butter over low heat and remove from heat (let it reach room temperature while remaining liquid).
- Mix the eggs with a cup of sugar, the milk, the butter, the Cointreau, the fruit zest, 1/4 cup of orange juice and the cardamom.
- Mix the liquid ingredients with the dry ones until you achieve a homogeneous mixture.
- Pour the batter into a previously greased rectangular loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes; check if it’s done by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out completely clean, it’s ready to come out.
- Take out of the oven and let it sit, then remove from the pan.
- In a saucepan heat the remaining 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/4 cup sugar, once bright bubbles form in the liquid, you can pour it over the cake and spread with the help of a brush.
- Let it cool before serving.
Keywords: Organge cake, orange bread, poundcake
You can easily change the recipe’s flavor, so instead of orange, it can be lime or tangerine cake. You just have to substitute the fruit zest and juice.